Wednesday, September 5, 2012

I Spy a Bad Guy

This story won 2nd place at the Burnt Hills Adirondack Womens Society Writing Contest.



Most people think of a vacation with their family as a good thing. Usually, it is something people look forward to. You talk about the amazing vacation you had and all the fun things you did with your friends, and usually, they are all jealous. That was my belief when this whole ordeal started. I was going on vacation! Great! This was going to be a great escape from the mountains of work I had at home! I wish I could say that this was how I would remember this “vacation” forever, unfortunately, this is not so.
Our plan was simple: my parents and I would drive from our home in Cupertino, California to the airport in Oakland. From there, we were headed to Orlando to catch a cruise to Cozumel, Mexico. Our family usually didn't take big trips like this, so I was getting pretty excited. The short ride to the airport seemed to take hours upon hours. It literally seemed to be endless. After the eternal car ride, we arrived at the airport. It felt like somehow, someone had slowed time down and everything was taking longer than normal. We were sitting at our terminal waiting for our plane to arrive and I was getting anxious, so I decided I was going to start trying to figure out where random people in the airport were headed.
I was an ordinary 16 year old girl. At least that is what I thought at the time. I had been raised to be very attentive to details. For instance, most people in an airport would just walk right by the guy dressed in a business suit and pay no attention to him. But my parents made sure at a very young age that I knew when things were off. Said business man was wearing a black suit, with a white shirt and black Nike's. Yes, the business man was wearing athletic shoes with his very professional business suit. Like I said, most people would notice, but I did. However, nothing else really seemed off about him, so I ignored him as soon as he went to his gate, which was probably about a mile worth of airport hallways away. I leaned over to my parents,
Hey did you see that guy wearing Nike's with his business suit?! Weirdo...”
Of course we saw him! It's ridiculous what some people think they can get away with these days!” So I went about figuring out where I thought people were going and what they were up to. A few people were going to beaches, and a few were on business trips. There were also a few who had clearly pretended to go on a business trip, and then lied to their husband or wife and met up with some “significant other”.
Eventually, our plane arrived and we boarded. Another thing I picked up from my parents, was planning ahead. When you are in a new place, you always make sure you know the quickest escape route. So as soon as I got on the plane, I made sure I knew exactly where the exits were. I took a quick look around to see who I'd be sharing the plane with for the next several hours. For the most part, everyone appeared to be somewhat normal. There were just a few odd balls here and there. The elderly man with purple hair was the most troubling. As we flew, I began making up a story in my head as to why this mans hair was purple. While doing this, I drifted off to sleep and didn't wake up until we were landing.
We arrived to a hot, humid August day in Florida. We made it to our port and after waiting for what seemed to be forever, we made it on to our boat. I was feeling pretty happy! So far, this vacation was everything I could've hoped for! We meandered around the boat as we sailed off to our Mexican paradise. There were a lot of things to see and do on the boat. Food of all sorts, and so many activities, I wouldn't have enough time to do them all before our time on the cruise was done! I decided I wanted to explore our deck. Since we were on vacation, I figured my parents would give me a little leisure in what I wanted to do.
Hey Mom? Can I go look around the deck?”
Sure! Be back soon! And no talking to strangers! Even the cute boys!”
Okay mom. Whatever...” I left and began to venture around the deck. There were a few cute boys but there was one man that really caught my eye. His hair was slightly grey and he was very built. He wore a Hawaiian t-shirt and Bermuda shorts. He had a big hat on and stood looking out over the ocean intensely. I took note of his running shoes and went on my way, exploring the rest of the deck. But for the rest of the day, I couldn't get Bermuda shorts man out of my head.
The next day, I woke up before either of my parents, who slept like rocks, even on the moving ship. I decided to try to be the good little daughter they had always wanted (although for the most part, I was a good kid). I left the room and went and got us all doughnuts to eat for breakfast. As I was rounding the corner to enter the room, I heard Bermuda shorts man. He seemed to be talking on the phone. He was definitely speaking another language, maybe Russian or Czech. I hid behind the corner instead of turning and walking into my room. I found it entertaining to know things about people that they didn't know I knew. It was often useful too. So, as I silently stood just around the corner, listening to this older man speak fast Russian (or something of the sort) I considered why he was talking in such a hushed voice. My first thought was, “Maybe he's going to propose to his girlfriend and wanted to arrange something with someone so he could pop the question at the perfect time!” Then I realized that I think about marriage way too much, and the odds of this somewhat elderly gentleman getting engaged at his age were very low. It was also then that I realized he sounded angry. He hung up, but then started a new conversation in English, although it was spoken with a thick accent. It was hard to tell what he was saying, but I heard the important parts.
...I'm here right now...yes, it'll be done by tomorrow...I have everything under control...They wont even know what hit them and no one will know...good day.” What I was hearing was a little bit unsettling. I didn't really want to jump to conclusions but it sorta sounded like this man was going to kill someone! I decided now would be a good time to pretend I was just coming around the corner.
When I rounded the corner, I was startled to see that Bermuda shorts man was staring me directly in the face. “I knew you were there the whole time you know. I don't take kindly to eavesdroppers. In my opinion, they're quite rude. I thought your parents would've raised you better. Seeing as they tend to be manner freaks.” I started to panic, realizing that this man apparently knew my parents, and seemed to not be a great person in general. “You see, I might as well just kill you now, since I was going to do it anyways. I mean really, whats a few hours difference?!” I freaked out. I had no idea what to do. I had thought of some of the things I had learned from my dad, who had taught me self defense from a young age. I decided I should do something rather than let him keep talking. I casually dropped the doughnuts. This man appeared to be an assassin because whoever he was, he intended to kill me, and apparently my parents too. I knew that if he was indeed an assassin, he was sure to be armed with something, whether it be a gun or a knife. I came up with a plan.
I was going to kick out both of his kneecaps, and break both of his wrists, therefore rendering him helpless. This way he couldn't walk, and he certainly couldn't try to pull a gun or knife. “You should really be more considerate of others when-” I cut him off mid sentence by absolutely crushing his kneecaps. Screaming in pain, I then destroyed his wrists. At that points, I decided I should shut him up, so as to avoid making a big scene. So I crushed his windpipe with my heel. He was immediately silenced, and shortly thereafter very dead.
I quickly, and quietly dragged him back to my room.
MOM!” I said in a hushed whisper, “This guy was going to kill us!”
What did you do to him? Who is he? How do you know that?!”
Well, I'm pretty sure he's an assassin, and he was definitely going to kill us. I bet you twenty bucks he has a weapon. Oh and as for what I did to him...I'm pretty sure he's dead.” My Mom gave me an unsure look, as if to say, “I'm not sure you should have killed this guy.” She began going through his things. The first thing she found was a very nice gun with a silencer, loaded, safety off. The next thing we found was a seven inch knife. This meant I was right not once, but twice! He had a gun AND a knife! After that, we found a cell phone, and a business card that had a name on it. Alexander Korsakovich.
My gosh. This is the Slovakian assassin that tried to kill Lawrence.” said my Dad, astonished.
Who is he? Who is Lawrence? Would you guys mind to fill me in on whats going on?” My parents promised to tell me everything on the way home. They managed to call a helicopter to the boat to pick us up. How they did that, I have no idea. As soon as they could, they dragged Korsakovich's body to the edge of the boat, and threw him over. We got on the helicopter later that night.
On the helicopter, we talked for multiple hours about everything that had just happened and why. As it turns out, my parents had been spies in Bosnia for years before I was born. They made a few good enemies there, and apparently, obtained some information that someone really didn't want them to have. And that is why this certain someone sent a Slovakian assassin to kill my family and I. They had been retired several years, and I suppose whoever wanted them dead, figured that, “Revenge is a dish best served cold.” It was an eventful family vacation, and I wasn't really sure what was going to happen when I got back home. There was one thing that was for certain though. Whoever wanted us dead, still wanted us dead, and I doubt the loss of one assassin was going to stop this person from getting us the way he wanted us: cold and dead with our lips sealed for eternity.

No comments: